Having a world-class safety program means having the highest quality, most effective, and cutting-edge initiatives that move the incident rate towards zero. It requires continuous improvements and should also be measurable.
At Amerit, we do more than preach safety- we live it every day in the expectations we set and how we act. Our world-class safety program is built on the following 8 critical elements that are proven, tried and true.
8 elements to a world-class safety program:
- Have a clear safety policy that defines expectations of all employees.
- Conduct regular safety training. This time is budgeted.
- Have standards for the condition of our facilities.
- Have a hazard reporting system that accepts input from all employees- an engaged workforce is a safe workforce.
- Conduct observations of people’s actions, working conditions and promote improvement through positive interaction.
- Investigate all reports of accidents, injuries, near misses and hazards.
- Take swift action anytime there is an opportunity to make the company safer. 8. Collaborate with employees with daily tool box talks and weekly safety meetings.
While leadership buy-in is a critical first step, developing a successful safety program and culture is built on the joint efforts of all organization individuals, on a day-to-day basis. When used together, the above initiatives will help build your program’s foundation, but requires patience. Implementing a safety plan needs time to take effect and won’t be resolved overnight.